Dreams is an app that teaches about savings and economics for young adults that are intimidated by economics.
It removes the pain of economics by removing the fear factor, simplifying the information, and giving helpful suggestions.
My role was to manage the project (customer contact, present, time manage, report write, budget), interview, prototype, and design gamification and visuals.
I collaborated with four other students.
"The amount of work this group has managed to pull off in three weeks is impressive, they poured so much energy and passion into this assignment!
We value the insights they gained, as well as their creative solution to our challenge. It is clear that they used a solid process for both insights generation and concept validation, which shines through in the quality of the proposed solution.
- Kathleen Asjes , Head of Research & Insights at Dreams
We started by interviewing the customer Dreams, to identify their target audience as well as creating a Business Model Canvas. During the project I held 2 creative pitches for the customer, which made sure we aligned with their needs.
How can Dreams include a validated solution for education that increases financial wellbeing in their app?
Young adults who need a push to start saving & learning, because they have no interest in economics.
We divided and conquered the research in order to gain as much knowledge as possible. We mixed both quantitative and qualitative research, as well as using the customers existing feedback, and relevant books.
Quantitative research, where we asked roughly 50 people about their feelings and habits towards private finances & learning about economics. We based our interview questions on the insights & assumptions we gained from the survey.
Qualitative research, where we interviewed 4 people in the target audience. From this, we validated or discarded assumptions.
Existing feedback, that Dreams had collected regarding their current Dreams Academy.
Note: No insights from Dreams are presented in this case study, only our research & insights.
Behavioral economics, to further gain insights into our customer Dreams' needs and values.
We aimed to create a learning loop, with feedback that drives learning and skill-building.
We wanted to create internal triggers and intrinsic motivation to complete the courses and tasks. Our concepts are designed to relieve the pain associated with economics since it is a core motivation in human nature to avoid pain points.
We identified the top two threats, and aimed to create a solution that would compete with those existing companies.
To read the details of a Design Sprint I've facilitated, read the case study for WatchItGolf!
Quick concept ideation & voting.
We performed lightning demos where we focused on the most interesting parts of the competitors products.
After that, we created quick concept sketches in several steps, which ended with a concept gallery that we heatmap dot voted on.
Gamification: fun while learning, showing progress, interactive parts.
Visualization: small chunks of text, metaphors, graphs, illustrations, mascot, pop-ups.
Customization: setting difficulty level & interest, dynamic information, possibility to sign up for weekly tips.
Blueprint for the prototype. The storyboard, together with the top-voted concept sketches, was the base of the prototype, which I was in charge of.
We tested on 5 target audience users, who were potential new customers.
Since we couldn't be in the same room as the users, we had to make the prototype clickable & understandable through online meetings. This forced us to incorporate mid-fi or even hi-fi elements, which removed some of the profits gained from lo-fi prototypes.
What did not work:
During the iteration sprint we incorporated and adapted solutions from the testing, and further validated or discarded our concepts.
I continued to work on the prototype, with insights we gained from the user testing in mind. I was very excited to use Figma's beta for interactive components & variants!
We tested on 3 target audience test users, potential new customers.
What did not work:
I created the structure of the report, proofread and edited it, finalized the budget, and then I presented to the customer.
The presentation was a success and we got very positive comments from the customer, who said that they were very impressed with the concepts and overall work.
We had planned to show the prototype and concepts in a live walkthrough, so we were happy to hear the request to see more of the concepts! That also started a conversation about our recommendations and it was great to be able to discuss with them.
We realized that we wanted to have a second round of interviews so that we could iterate on the questions and gain even more information and insights.
It would also be great with a second iteration sprint to validate the concepts even further. It's something we will bring with us to the next project!
Increase the paying customer base & explore the possibility to incorporate gamification.
Create an engaging AR game filter that enhances the experience of the exhibition Play Beyond Play.